Mixfolio is a responsive, HTML5 portfolio theme for WordPress. Use it to build your portfolio or your online brand. Create Image, Gallery, Video or Standard posts using Mixfolio's Post Formats feature.
- Download the zip file from your members dashboard. This will always be the most current version of the theme.
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard. This can be found at yourdomain.com/wp-admin
- Go to Appearance > Themes and click on the _Install Themes_ tab
- Click on the _Upload_ link
- Upload the zip file that you downloaded from your members dashboard and click _Install Now_
- Click _Activate_ to use the theme you just installed.
For more details about installing your themes, please view Installing Your Theme
Optional: You can download a demo content file here that you can import in Tools > Import. In many cases just importing the demo content will not work since you will also have to make some manual configurations. Please go through this documentation to fully understand how the theme works in order to customize it to fit your needs.
Recommended Plugin Configuration
- Disable all lightbox/slideshow plugins, including the GPP Slideshow Plugin. This theme already comes with a slideshow script, so using another slideshow plugin will cause a conflict.
This theme sets the media sizes automatically. You can review these sizes in Settings > Media. The default sizes for this theme are:
- Thumbnail size
- Width: 300
- Height: 200
- [checked] Crop thumbnails to exact dimensions (normally thumbnails are proportional)
- Medium size
- Max Width: 300
- Max Height: 300
- Large size
- Max Width: 980
- Max Height: 0
- [checked] When possible, embed the media content from a URL directly onto the page. For example: links to Flickr and YouTube.
- Maximum embed size
- Width: 980
- Height: 0
_Please Note: If you are switching from another theme, you will want to install and run the Regenerate Thumbnails WordPress plugin to resize your existing images._
With the Theme Customizer, you can set your title and tagline, choose your fonts, set a background image, assign your menus, and choose a static home page. You can preview your changes by clicking the Customize link below your active theme on your Appearance > Themes page.
_Please note: Setting a static home page will remove the default home page elements built into the theme. You must keep this set to_ Display Latest Posts _to display the homepage thumbnail grid._
Go to Appearance > Theme Options to add a welcome message, your contact information, and set up your Twitter feed.
This theme displays a grid of featured images from your latest posts on the home page. You can choose to display another static page on your homepage instead. After you have created this page, you can set the new homepage in either Settings > Reading or the Theme Customizer by assigning a static front page.
To add a menu above this grid, you can create a new custom menu and assign it to the Secondary theme location.
This theme supports widgetized areas. For more detail about adding widgets to your site, please read Adding Widgets.
Our themes use WordPress�s custom menus option. These can be created in Appearance > Menus. To add a new menu to your site:
- Go to Appearance > Menus.
- Create a new menu item by clicking the + tab.
- Select the pages you want to display in your menu and click the Add to Menu button. If you do not see the type of page (category, tag, portfolio, gallery, etc) you want to display, click the Screen Options link at the top of the page and make sure the page type is checked.
- Once you have set your menu as you want it, click the Save Menu button.
- Then, assign that menu to your desired theme location to ensure your menu appears where you want it and click Save.
Always Set Featured Images
This theme relies heavily on Featured Images. If your post is missing a Featured Image, the post may not appear on the homepage or on archive pages.
To choose the image you want to set as a featured image for this post and click the _Set as Featured Image_ button. For best results use images that are at least 665 px wide.
This theme supports the following post formats — gallery, image, video, quote, link and standard — which are unique layouts for specific types of posts. Each post format has its own unique layout on the homepage, on its archive page and on the individual single post pages.
Gallery - To show a slideshow of images (an image gallery), upload as many images as you like using the media uploader tool and insert the Gallery into the post. Be sure to assign a Featured Image for that post. All posts assigned to the Gallery Post Format will then display the Gallery under the gallery tab, with any text added into your post's edit page displayed under the info tab.
To insert a gallery:
- Select the Gallery post format.
- Click the Add Media button to launch the Media Uploader tool.
- Click the Create Gallery option.
- You can choose to upload images from your computer or you can use images that already exist in your Media Library. You cannot use an image from a URL on the web in your gallery.
- If you are uploading images, click the Select Files button and navigate to each of your images on your computer. Click the Open button to open each image.
- Once each of your images has been uploaded, you will have the option to add a title, caption, alternative text and description.
- After you have added all of the images you wish to display in the gallery, switch to your media library tab and select those images.
- Then, click the Create a New Gallery button.
- Set a featured image for your Gallery.
Image - To display only one image on your post, select the image post format. Upload the image using the media uploader tool and assign it as the Featured Image for the post. _Do not insert the image_ into the post.
Video - To display a video in your post, paste your video's embed code in the Video URL or Embed Code field. The video will display under the Video tab. This works for all interactive elements (videos, maps, panoramas) that have embed code. You can also add additional interactive elements into the content area, though these will appear inside the content area, rather than above it. Be sure to select the Video post format.
Quote - To display a quote in your post, select the Quote post format. Add your quote into the content area. This quote will be styled as a blockquote on your homepage, single, and archive pages.
Link - To create a post that is a link to another source, select the Link post format, and add your content to the content area.
Standard - Switch to the Standard post to display whatever you insert into the content area on the homepage and on single posts. Be sure to upload and assign a Featured Image for each post.
This theme provides two page templates: Default and Wide Page.
- The Default page template is the standard page layout, and will display the Sidebar if you have it activated in your widgets area.
- The Wide page template removes the Sidebar, even if it is set in the widgets area, and stretches your content to the full-width of the page.
Embed Multimedia into Posts or Pages
For externally hosted videos (for example a YouTube or Vimeo video), you can directly paste the link of your video page into the content editor. You do not have to paste the embed code. WordPress will automatically embed the video from the link.
You can easily embed videos from a Video hosting service such as Vimeo or YouTube into your posts or pages.
To add a video:
- From your WordPress dashboard, add a new post or page (or edit an existing post or page).
- Paste in your video�s URL, for example https://vimeo.com/31985752.
- Publish or Update your post or page.
_Please note: If your video is not appearing correctly, remove the �s� from the URL, so https becomes http._
If you've performed a clean install of the theme and are still having issues, check the following recommendations:
- Ensure you are using the latest version of Mixfolio.
- Ensure your file permissions are set correctly. On most servers, the theme files permissions should be set to 644 and folders should be set to 755.
- Ensure your theme folder is named
mixfolio, with no extra spaces, characters, or uppercase letters. Also ensure that there is not a second folder called
mixfolioinside the first.
Mixfolio is currently only available in English (US). It contains a default.pot file which you can use to translate to any other language you want. See WordPress in Your Language for more information about translating your version of Mixfolio into another language.